Tight Hamstring Muscles
Tight Hamstring Causes
- Not stretching before or after activity - When your muscles are warm after activity it is most important to stretch properly to prevent the muscles from tightening up as they cool.
- Prolonged sitting while working - Hamstring muscles that contract for a long period of time can easily lose flexibility.
- Genetics - Some people, more predominantly men, are born with short hamstring.
- Lower back problems - Pressure on the sciatic nerve, which runs down the back of the leg, can cause the hamstrings to tighten.
- An inactive lifestyle - Inactivity and sitting for long periods causes the hamstrings to lose flexibility.
Tight Hamstring Symptoms
Tight hamstring muscles do not have many symptoms, however, there may be physical indicators that suggest you have tight hamstring muscles.
- A sway back (improper posture)
- Inability to keep your legs straight while bending at the hips
- Pain in the buttock while sitting
Treating a Tight Hamstring Muscle
Tight hamstring are frustrating to live with especially when trying to run or participate in sports. Regular massaging and stretching of the hamstrings is a great way to loosen the muscles to prevent tightness, as well as preparing them before activity. There are also home treatment options - passive hamstring stretching (assigned by your physician or physical therapist), and most importantly, the Leg TShellz Wrap® - a powerful home treatment medical device to heat soft tissue (ie. your hamstring).
Heat from the TShellz Wrap® stimulates local blood flow in the area, temporarily improving the body's localized healing response to help rehab damaged muscles, tendons and ligaments. Heat from a TShellz treatment will increase flexibility and length of your hamstrings and tendons, so if you apply a TShellz Wrap® before activity, you will reduce the risk of straining your hamstrings (and other soft tissue) as the treatment has "warmed them up". Over time, increased stretching without the accompanying re-straining will give you the ability to achieve longer hamstrings, reducing the risk of hamstring muscle injury and chronic tightness.
Learn more about Tight Hamstring Treatments here
Product Advisors are available 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time Monday to Friday.
Learn More About Hamstring Injuries & Treatments
I want to learn more about Hamstring Post-Surgery Recovery
I want to learn more about the TShellz® Circulatory Boost Wrap
I want to learn more about Ice & Heat: Which Is Better For Treatment?
I want to learn more about Stretching for the Hamstring
I want to learn more about Soft Tissue Injury Treatments
During your recovery, you will probably have to modify and/or eliminate any activities that cause pain or discomfort at the location of your soft tissue injury until the pain and inflammation settle. Always consult your doctor and/or Physical Therapist before using any of our outstanding products, to make sure they are right for you and your condition. The more diligent you are with your treatment and rehabilitation, the faster you will see successful results!