A hamstring contusion is caused by a direct hit to the hamstring muscles at the back of the upper thigh and is very common during a collision in contact sports, such as football or rugby. A hard shot from a ball or hockey puck during play can also result in a contusion of the hamstring muscles. When the hit occurs, the muscle is crushed against the bone causing tissue damage that may result in swelling, bruising, pain, and limited movement in the upper leg.
Depending on the direction and force of the hit, and the strength of the hamstrings, the symptoms of a contusion can range from mild tenderness in the area to pain so severe you are not able to walk properly.
Intramuscular and Intermuscular Contusions
If the tissue damage, or tearing, occurs in the muscle and the fascia (muscular sheath) surrounding the muscle is not torn it is called an intramuscular contusion. The term intermuscular contusion is used when both the muscle and the fascia are torn.
If the contusion is intramuscular the bleeding is contained within the muscle sheath so visible bruising may not occur. However, pressure in the muscle increases from the bleeding which can cause pain and make movement difficult.
In the case of and intermuscular contusion, the blood escapes through the torn fascia and a bruise is usually visible. Healing time for an intermuscular contusion is generally faster than and intramuscular contusion because the blood and other fluid do not build up in the muscle which can cause swelling and blocked blood vessels.
For any hamstring contusion, the amount of time needed to heal can be reduced if cold compression is applied at the time of the hit and frequently during the following 72 hours.
Hamstring Contusion Symptoms
The symptoms of a hamstring contusion will differ depending on the severity of the impact. If you have suffered a hamstring contusion you will probably experience some degree of pain when walking uphill or up stairs, running, lunging, kicking, jumping, or bending forward. Other symptoms may include:
Grade 1 - Mild Contusion
- Tenderness in the area of the injury
- Slight swelling, if any
- Tightness in the calf muscles
- Possible difficulties walking but range of motion isn't affected much
Grade 2 - Moderate Contusion
- Pain during activity and when pressure is applied at the injury site
- Limited movement
- Inability to stretch as far as usual
- Pain and stiffness with rest following activity, especially in the morning
Grade 3 - Severe Contusion
- Extreme pain at the time of injury with pain continuing for a few days
- Sudden and noticeable swelling
- Swelling and bruising that may extend down to the knee and calf
- Muscle spasm
- Weakness in the hamstring muscles
- Walking is impossible without assistance or crutches
- Difficulties sleeping due to pain
Treating a Hamstring Contusion
Hamstring pain is frustrating to live with and healing can take a long time because it's difficult to give your leg the rest it needs. This is especially true for runners and other athletes that return to their sport too early. However, resting your leg, and taking the pressure off by using crutches, is one of the best things you can do to allow healing. Jumping, running, kicking or lunging should be avoided to reduce stress on the posterior thigh muscles.
Treating a hamstring contusion with cold compression as soon as you can, and for the first 72 hours following injury, will help with recovery by reducing swelling and tissue damage. In the early stages of the injury, avoid stretching, massage, or heat treatments as it may lead to further bleeding in the area.
Stage 1: If the injury is very recent - use a good quality cold pack and Arnica Pain Relief Cream. If the injury has been going on for awhile, then skip to Stage 2 below.
An injured muscle, ligament or tendon will receive very little blood flow; this occurs for a couple of reasons: (1) swelling and inflammatory symptoms restrict blood flow, and (2) lack of movement (its painful!) reduces blood flow in the area. Add the two up and you can start to see why this can be a major problem over time. In cases where there is little to no inflammation (tendonosis, chronic tendonitis, muscle pulls) - the use of cold is relatively ineffective as there is little or no swelling to be dealt with.
If you are experiencing pain and swelling in the very early stages of the injury (first 48 to 72 hours), the first step in a conservative treatment protocol would be to focus on reducing the discomfort by applying a Cold Compress or Ice Pack to the soft tissue injury and incorporate the use of a high quality pain relief cream such as our Arnica Infusion Cream.
If you are experiencing pain and swelling, not only will you use cold for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury, but you should also use it during other stages of the healing process. Some examples include...
- after any activity that stresses the muscle or tendon in a moderate way. It is wise to quickly apply cold to not only reduce the pain, but to also minimize tissue damage that may have occurred during the prior event.
- If you have a job that requires you to place some demands on your injury. If that is the case, use cold immediately following work and if the opportunity allows - use it for 15 to 20 minutes during lunch or another break time.
- If you are in a post-operative situation where cold compression would be utilized heavily for at least the first few weeks following the procedure. Similarly, if you are scheduled for upcoming surgery, then you will find a Cold Compress or Ice Pack helpful as well.
Having a Cold Compress or Ice Pack available at home to use if and when the need arises is helpful. Many of you already do so.
Often, however, too many people over-focus on cold while ignoring the most critical aspect to healing - nourishing injured tissue with a strong blood flow - the body's healing capability is generally dependent on blood flow..
This leads to the most important recommendation - Stage 2.
Stage 2: Focus on Increasing Blood Flow To The Injured Tissue - As This is The ONLY Way Soft Tissue Heals For the Long-Term
Even though the concept is simple, improving blood flow to injured tissues can be difficult. When the injury is in an area with low blood circulation (or you have a condition that affects your blood circulation), the challenges are even greater. Traditional methods require your muscles and tendons to move to promote blood flow (exercise), but that same motion that promotes blood flow can at times lead to making your pain and condition worse.
- Have you reinjured yourself by getting back on your feet too quickly?
- How many times in the past have you aggravated your old injury just trying to perform basic tasks around the home?
- Is your debilitation preventing you from work or activities you love to do?
Most people we deal with tell us these scenarios have happened to them many times in the past. Perhaps it has already happened to you.
Promoting blood flow within a muscle, bursa or other soft tissue injury to help the body heal itself is a concept that has been utilized for centuries. This is where the focus has to be if you are seeking long-term improvement.
Oxygen and nutrients, carried within the blood, are critical for the body to heal itself. Without proper blood flow, recovering from an injury or condition will be delayed...sometimes for a very long period of time.
The real challenge is how do you promote blood flow to an injury site without causing further injury (moving)? This goal is further complicated by the fact that muscles and tendons in the lower body are involved in pretty much every physical movement we perform each day.
Now, on to recommendation number two in the journey to heal your soft tissue injury...
The T•Shellz Wrap® - Help Your Body Maximize Its Ability to Recover From Your Soft Tissue Injury
Energy emitted from the T•Shellz Wraps® increases blood flow in and around the application area - we call this "LEC Response" (Localized Enhanced Circulation Response). The objective of the T•Shellz Wrap® is to increase blood flow in these targeted areas, resulting in relaxation of the vessel walls. The vessels then gently expand, allowing for more nutrient rich blood flow along with extra oxygen to reach the damaged tissues. Plus, the enhanced blood flow helps in flushing waste and fluid build-up from the injury site - further enhancing the ability of the body to heal.
With a T•Shellz Wrap® application, more blood begins to flow effectively to soft tissue within the body - for the length of the treatment and a short duration thereafter. Deep tissue needs the extra blood flow to heal as it is through the blood the body carries the oxygen and nutrients needed for proper and long-term healing.
The best option we came across in our research to accomplish blood flow to soft tissue in the upper and lower legs is the T•Shellz Wrap®. Use of this device results in a dramatic increase in blood flow to the injured tissues in the treatment area - all in a non-invasive manner.
Have you seen what happens when you add water to a flower wilted from drought? In essence, your injured muscle/tendon/ligament is much like a "wilted" flower; your body wants to heal its injury, but needs lots of nutrients to do it. Blood brings new life to soft tissue by delivering healing nutrients and oxygen that are vital to your tissue. Without a good supply of blood, your soft tissue injury simply won't heal quickly, and as such increase your risk of reinjury and/or a chronic injury.
Using a T•Shellz Wrap® will not expose you to the risk of causing further harm to soft tissue like you can when using rigorous exercise. The T•Shellz Wrap® accomplishes the goal of enhanced blood flow without the need for intensive exercise and as such reduces your risk of re-injury.
Localized Enhanced Circulation Response
The intention of a T•Shellz Wrap® is to ease pain by dilating blood vessels, decrease stiffness by elongating soft tissue, improve blood circulation, and boost metabolism and enzyme activity. In stimulating localized blood flow to damaged soft tissue, you provide needed oxygen and nutrients to grow new collagen. In addition, you will experience a clearing of toxins and excess fluid build up from the injury site. Over the intermediate term, this helps to reduce incidents of swelling as trapped fluids will be whisked away - reducing pressure on blood vessels.
Using the T•Shellz Wrap® is truly a unique experience. Within moments of applying the wrap, you can feel the sensation due to the increase in blood flow within the area. During a treatment, and for quite some time after you finish, the treated area will feel relaxed and warm. It's a very soothing sensation and extremely effective.
Who Should Use the T•Shellz Wrap®
We recommend the use of a T•Shellz Wrap®:
- If you have encountered a strain, tear or pull in your muscles, ligaments or tendons, then you would find the T•Shellz Wrap® to be a great home treatment tool to use AFTER initial inflammation and swelling have been reduced.
- If you are dealing with conditions affecting your range of motion such as impingement or even arthritis.
- If you have a chronic tendonitis condition that has lasted for years- this device will help you kickstart the recovery process while helping improve tissue flexibility in the treatment area. Many of our past clients had suffered for years, then were completely amazed at the results only after a few months of treatments.
- If you are still working with a soft tissue injury, the T•Shellz Wrap® will help relax injured soft tissue prior to work and after a day at the job.
- If you are still trying to enjoy your favorite activities such as gardening, tennis, golf, etc - use the T•Shellz Wrap® prior to activity to help reduce chances of re-injuring or re-aggravating those targeted tissues.
- If you are suffering from bursitis and want to treat the major source of it (secondary damage to the muscle and tendon surrounding the bursa sac). Through overuse or degenerative changes in hip, knee and heel, muscle and tendons surrounding the bursa sacs will tighten and constrict. When they do, they place pressure on bursae (bursae=plural form of bursa), causing it to become irritated. Applying a soothing and deep penetrating energy to affected area helps relaxes muscles, tendons and ligaments - taking pressure off the bursa and boosting blood circulation in the area which enhances your body's natural healing process.
- If you are experiencing atrophy in your joint and want to reduce the chance of a strain or re-injury - this is a perfect treatment to use on a regular basis.
- If you have been to a physical therapist (PT) for soft tissue treatment (stretching, massage, strengthening, etc) and your PT or physician has recommended conservative treatments for home.
- If you need surgery for a soft tissue injury, then you will find a blood circulation booster to be a powerful tool after surgery to help surgically repaired tissues recover for long-term health. (once the surgery wound has healed and your physician has given the ok)
- If you are experiencing tightness in your muscle(s) and want to reduce the chance of re-injury while stretching - we recommend the use of a T•Shellz Wrap® before you stretch.
Increased Blood Circulation = Increased Healing Capability
T•Shellz Wraps® contain a unique Carbon Fiber Energy Pad which is flexible and will shape to conform to your body. This Energy Pad emits a uniform wave of perfectly safe energy over its entire surface. This energy is absorbed by soft tissue in the treatment area, opening blood vessels, resulting in an increase in blood flow. Increased blood circulation is what your body needs to accelerate the healing of soft tissue and this is why we recommend the T•Shellz Wrap®.
The Leg T•Shellz Wrap® is an FDA Registered Medical Device and is suitable for use in therapeutic clinics and FROM HOME. It is completely safe for people and patients to use for themselves.
The technology found in a T•Shellz Wrap® has been used for decades in the worlds of professional and amateur sports - a contributing factor as to why athletes seem to recover from injuries so quickly.
Have you ever wondered by an athlete can return to activity after 3 or 4 weeks following a tendon injury - while your average person takes much longer to return back to normal? The secret isn't really that much of a secret - it involves consistent treatments (meaning multiple times a day) using a treatment like the T•Shellz Wrap® to stimulate blood flow to the injured tissues. Most athletes have the luxury of using in-house facilities many times per day.
How many us can afford the time and money to visit a clinic multiple times a day? Very few indeed. This is how you can gain some of the advantages that athletes enjoy in their injury recovery - by using a device like the T•Shellz Wrap® two or three times a day on a consistent basis.
Consistent Treatments = Consistent And Long Term Improvement
What Else Makes the Leg T•Shellz Wrap® So Special?
We believe the T•Shellz Wrap® to be one of the most effective home treatments to increase localized blood flow to soft tissue in and around the treatment area.
We can promise that you will receive a product that is designed to be safe and does what it is supposed to do...quickly relieve pain and aid in the recovery from tendon, muscle and other soft tissue injuries.
The unit plugs into a standard wall outlet to get its power. The nice thing about the power supply is that the same unit can be used in North America and overseas as well. It has the capability to operate between 110v and 230v.
The T•Shellz Wrap® has a special signal controller that can be set for 3 different power levels of application (3=High, 2=Medium, 1=Low). The cord is long enough that you can sit or lie comfortably and watch TV, read or surf the net while you're using it.
Treatments are max 30 minutes in duration and the device can be worn over clothing. This allows you to use the device at work, at home, or really anywhere you have access to an electrical outlet.
When Should I Use My TShellz Wrap During the Day?
The most common question we receive from individuals prior to purchasing is - how many times a day should I be using my T•Shellz Wraps® and when should I be using them? While treatment plans will differ for each individual and their specific injury, there are general guidelines that should be adhered to.
- Use a Cold Compress or Ice Pack when you are experiencing inflammation (usually after exertion or movement of the injury area).
The T•Shellz Wrap® would then be used:
- Right after rising from bed in the morning (as this is when it is most stiff)
- Prior to going to bed at night (to relax the area, allowing for better sleep)
- Before you know you will be using your injured joint (going to work, driving, running, walking, etc).
Stage 3 - In Between Treatments With T•Shellz Wrap®, Apply Our New Fast Acting Pain Relief Cream Called ARNICA INFUSION
Dealing with aches and pains affecting the foot, ankle, leg, knee, hamstring, hip, back, arm, shoulder, elbow, wrist, or hand? If so, then applying the Arnica Infusion to any of these targeted areas will bring about fast relief from the pain and sore tissues. Simply apply a small amount of cream to the body and moments later, you will experience a soothing and comforting sensation over the area.
Arnica Infusion is specially designed to relieve pain due to sore muscles and joints associated with arthritis, backaches, sprains, strains, and bruises. No matter if you are dealing with an acute injury, chronic pain, or a general "flare-up" - you will experience fast relief from pain and inflammation.
This is a product that many of our current MendMeShop customers asked us to develop. So we focused our time and resources over the past few years and came up, with we believe, will be one of more effective, fast acting, topical pain relief creams on the market.
You are likely familiar with some of the standard topical agents on the market as most of our customers use them. The are mass marketed and even found in most department stores now.
Well, we are here to say that Arnica Infusion goes many steps beyond what they offer.
Made in the USA at an FDA registered manufacturing facility, you can be assured that Arnica Infusion is both safe and effective. We only source top grade ingredients while implementing strict quality control checks during every step of the production process. Expect the same high quality that MendMeShop customers have been accustomed to since we started the company in 2005.
The "Cool Blue" formula is the perfect balance between the smooth application of a cream and the effective absorbing factor of a gel. It is not too thick and not too thin - just the right texture. Best of all, it feels very nice on the skin!
Each application of Arnica Infusion feels so comforting and soothing, we are certain it will become an item you will not want to live without.
Arnica Infusion Ingredients
The Arnica Infusion formula is based on a combination of scientific research and the use of high quality ingredients. The properties within the formula were chosen for their pain relief, anti-inflammatory, and soothing qualities.
The acting ingredients within the formula include ones many of us are familiar with; along with ones that have not received a lot of publicity (only in research circles). Extensive testing resulted in a blending of ingredients that provides the most synergistic of benefits.
The notable ingredients in the Arnica Infusion formula include:
- Arnica - powerful anti-inflammatory, speeds recovery, enhances circulation
- Menthol - provides deep penetrating pain relief with a nice cooling sensation
- Vitamin B6 - promotes normal nerve function
- MSM - supports healthy connective tissues, anti-inflammatory
- Ilex Leaf Extract - increases circulation, skin conditioner
- Vitamin E - anti-inflammatory, enhances circulation, hydrates the skin
- Aloe - anti-inflammatory properties, soothes the skin
- Tea Tree - enhances penetration of ingredients
Extensive quality control procedures during the manufacturing process ensure the ingredients and final product are both safe and effective. We would not stake our reputation on anything but the best.
When Do I Apply the Arnica Infusion?
While At Work
Apply Arnica Infusion at work to help reduce acute discomfort associated with overuse of muscles and joints. No matter if you are in a physical demanding job or work within an office environment, you will be placing stress on different parts of the body and aches and pains will result.
Before Or After Work, Sports, & Activity
If you suffer from a sprained ligament, pulled muscle, strained tendon, or even bruising - apply Arnica Infusion for quick relief of the pain.
Chronic Pain Suffering
Application of Arnica Infusion can be done up to a maximum of 4 times per day on a consistent basis to help bring about relief from various pains and aches.
In-between Treatments With the T•Shellz Wraps®
Follow up your T•Shellz and Cold treatments with an application of Arnica Infusion. Combine the pain relieving benefits of Arnica Infusion along with the healing benefits of the wraps to make your recovery go much more smoothly.
Do not apply Arnica Infusion within a 2 hour timespan before a T•Shellz Wrap® treatment.
Whether you decide to use the Arnica Infusion in conjunction with the T•Shellz Wrap® and other treatments - or if you decide to use the cream as a stand-alone product - you will not be disappointed with the results. We guarantee it.
Learn More About Leg Injuries & Treatments
I want to learn more about Surgery & Post-Surgery Recovery
I want to learn more about Circulation Boost
I want to learn more about Ice & Heat: Which Is Better For Treatment?
I want to learn more about Stretching for the Hamstring
I want to learn more about Soft Tissue Injury Treatments
During your recovery, you will probably have to modify and/or eliminate any activities that cause pain or discomfort at the location of your soft tissue injury until the pain and inflammation settle. Always consult your doctor and/or Physical Therapist before using any of our outstanding products, to make sure they are right for you and your condition. The more diligent you are with your treatment and rehabilitation, the faster you will see successful results!
Product specialists are available 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time Monday to Friday.
If any question or concern arises, call us or simply send us an email at any time (we check our emails constantly all throughout the day and night.. even on holidays!). We will respond as soon as possible.
North America Toll Free 1-866-237-9608
Outside North America +1-705-532-1671